Let me start at the beginning (a very good place to start). My brother got married in December last year (2008) and before the wedding I had my hair cut and coloured (by my wonderful friend Fabienne).
Then, just before Christmas I heard of a mom who I chat on a forum with whose little boy of (then) 3 1/2 was diagnosed with cancer - this was on 24 December 2008. I can only imagine what this family had to go through with all of this and with Wouter being so young, it reminded me so of my two boys and made me appreciate their health so much more.
When it came to New Year's resolutions a week later I decided that I will not be making personal resolutions as such (does one ever stick to them for longer than 24 hours anyway), but rather decided to make a contribution to society as such, focusing on cancer patients (especially children). I made the decision to firstly become a bone-marrow donor, and secondly to grow my hair for a year to donate to cancer patients for wigs. Both of these required absolutely no effort from my side and would have the ability to help someone who needs it somewhere down the line.
The bone marrow donation was quite easy and actually painless - all it involved was a phone-call to the Sunflower Foundation and a sample of blood drawn. If they ever need my marrow (or whatever) they will call me.
The hair-growing is going well and my hair is now the longest it has ever been - it is getting a bit much (especially in summer now), but (I think) it will all be worth it and on 6 March 2010 I will be chopping it all off (they need at least 22cm) at the annual CANSA Shavathon. I will not be shaving it all off, but will be cutting it short.
When it came to New Year's resolutions a week later I decided that I will not be making personal resolutions as such (does one ever stick to them for longer than 24 hours anyway), but rather decided to make a contribution to society as such, focusing on cancer patients (especially children). I made the decision to firstly become a bone-marrow donor, and secondly to grow my hair for a year to donate to cancer patients for wigs. Both of these required absolutely no effort from my side and would have the ability to help someone who needs it somewhere down the line.
The bone marrow donation was quite easy and actually painless - all it involved was a phone-call to the Sunflower Foundation and a sample of blood drawn. If they ever need my marrow (or whatever) they will call me.
The hair-growing is going well and my hair is now the longest it has ever been - it is getting a bit much (especially in summer now), but (I think) it will all be worth it and on 6 March 2010 I will be chopping it all off (they need at least 22cm) at the annual CANSA Shavathon. I will not be shaving it all off, but will be cutting it short.
Now back to my inspiration, Wouter. Please read his story that his wonderful parents have been writing about on a (almost) daily basis - please go look at Krokkenoster - Wouter's Story . The good news is that Wouter is doing really well and has responded brilliantly to treatment. The cancer has basically disappeared, but he is still getting chemo until about mid-March 2010.
Say a little prayer for this family tonight please!!



1 comment:
Yes, I missed this post. You are a fabulous person Linda. Thank you for inspiring me right back on a day that I really need to get back up.
Suzanne
Post a Comment