http://london.thesouthafrican.com/sa-sport/Beyond-the-vuvuzela--Watching-the-World-Cup-at-Loftus
Rob McIntosh, a South African living in London, returned home to Pretoria to catch a World Cup game in his hometown. He tells us all about the experience, and what it is really like to be surrounded by thousands of blaring vuvuzelas
I was lucky enough to have secured tickets to a relatively low-key World Cup match in Pretoria to watch Ghana take on Serbia in the first Group B game of the tournament.
Having arrived in South Africa a few days earlier I was completely taken aback by the spirit in the country: South African flags attached to car windows and flag “socks” attached onto side mirrors absolutely everywhere – so much so that it seemed almost uncool not to have at least one piece of South African memorabilia on your car. And so, of course, I got right into the spirit and did it too!
And then there were the vuvuzelas. Love them or hate them, it seems that anyone watching, or indeed playing, the “beautiful game” in 2010 will also have to get used to the “beautiful noise”, as vuvuzelas have become a national symbol of South Africa’s pride and support.
Living in the quieter suburbs in the east of Pretoria, the occasional “paaaaaaaarp!” of a random vuvuzela or kuduzela (a vuvuzela shaped like a kudu horn, with a similar sound but, unlike vuvuzelas, they are banned from stadiums) is not uncommon. The vibe in the country, across race, culture and class is so evident you cannot help noticing it, and cannot help getting into it!
Vuvuzelas are being sold in South Africa from as little as R20 (£1.75) for a plain plastic model to a modest R350 (£30) for a fancy African beaded version with a buck-hide strap. But believe me, they all make exactly the same sound!
At the game, I was surprised just how contagious the vuvuzelas were. Together with the great spirit of the Ghanaian supporters and the multitude of South Africans who were 100% behind their African compatriots, the spirit of the crowd was phenomenal.
As one would have expected the prices of drinks and snacks in the stadium were at a mighty premium compared to anything I have ever experienced in South Africa, but that never deterred me from ordering a few R30 (£2.50) Budweisers and a R50 (£4.30) boerie roll.
The game was good but goalless until Asamoah Gyan converted a penalty kick in the 84th minute, giving Ghana a 1-0 win over Serbia to become the first team from Africa to win in this year’s World Cup.
The Black Stars’ supporters went absolutely crazy, and the walk back to the park and ride was almost as much fun as the madness and mayhem of the Ghanaian celebrations in the stadium. Everybody was jovial and proud to be African!
I am very impressed with what South Africa has achieved so far in the World Cup, with so much more still to come. I am proud of the vibe we have created in the country. I am proud of the “gees” we are showing. After watching the game, I thought to myself: “today, I am very Proudly South African.”




No comments:
Post a Comment